GRI has a vacancy for a
Director Marketing & Communications (Maternity Cover)
Start date: mid November 2014, full time (€ 75.000 – € 85.000 gross per calendar year)
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Contract: 4 to 6 months, Local Terms
The Director will implement GRI’s Marketing and Communications strategy to position the organization effectively for the next phase in the expansion of sustainability reporting.
Sustainability is more and more recognized as a strategic issue for companies. Sustainability Reporting is increasingly adopted worldwide to equip companies to manage their performance and be transparent to investors and stakeholders.
The Global Reporting Initiative has developed its Sustainability Reporting Guidelines since 1997 through a unique global dynamic process involving thousands of reporting companies, the users of their reports in markets and society, as well as audit and consulting professionals and academics. The GRI Guidelines are by far the most widely used worldwide and seen by many as the de-facto global standard.
At GRI we believe that Sustainability Reporting can become standard practice for large companies over the coming years to serve companies, markets and the public’s interest in sustainability. The Director Marketing and Communications has a critical role to play in positioning GRI to fulfil its global leadership role and deliver its best contribution to make sustainability reporting effective and standard practice in an increasingly crowded space of private and public initiatives.
The position offers a unique opportunity for a marketing and communications professional with an interest in and commitment to sustainability, together with a passion for creative strategies that deliver results in a dynamic international environment. The Director will be leading the implementation of GRI’s marketing and communications strategy.
Core responsibilities include:
Strategy and Implementation
- Implement GRI’s renewed positioning, branding and image internally and externally
- Promote and protect the integrity of GRI’s brand internally and externally
- Build strategic relationships with Media Partners and further develop partnership opportunities
- Oversee the planning and implementation of the GRI Conference and Events strategy
- Lead the implementation of strategy through GRI’s publications, website, , media relations including social media, etc.
- Track and map worldwide perceptions regarding sustainability reporting and GRI’s mission and assess and measure the effects of GRI’s marketing and communications
Managerial and Operational
- Manage the Marketing & Communications Department (currently 6 staff)
- Be a member of the GRI Executive Management Team, reporting to the Chief Executive
- Resource and performance management: planning, fundraising, budgeting, staff performance, and reporting
- Editorial oversight and quality control: ensure the maintenance of GRI’s branding, editorial direction and house style in the formatting and content of all GRI publications
- Affinity with the mission and vision of GRI
- A deep and strong understanding of strategic sustainability issues and their application in business
- Proven competence in the development and implementation of strategies to market public interest missions
- Excellent communicator:
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work across cultures and sectors (business, civil society, government, etc.)
- An ability to persuade, motivate and sell
- Proven excellence in written, graphic, and verbal communications
- Fluent written and spoken English (mother tongue level); one or more other world languages would be an advantage
- Effective manager with a proven ability in:
- Customer/user-focused relationship management
- Staff management ensuring good relations and results
- Project management; able to manage multiple projects at a time
- Specific professional skills and experience in one or more of the following would be an advantage:
- Press relations
- New media would be an advantage
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to submit an application is Friday 10 October 2014 by 12.00 noon CET. GRI appreciates all expressions of interest but only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Stichting Global Reporting Initiative
Attn. Human Resources Department
Visit address: Barbara Strozzilaan 336, 1038 HN Amsterdam
T. + 31 (0)20-5310000
email@example.com // www.globalreporting.org